NEW JERSEY DRUG CRIME EXPUNGEMENT
Morris County Possession of CDS Law Firm
Severity of drug crimes range extensively from a first degree possession of heroin over 5 ounces to a disorderly persons possession of drug paraphernalia. Regardless of the crime, if you have moved on with your life and wish to put your criminal history in the past, you may be interested in expunging your criminal record. Our experienced expungement attorneys at Maynard Law Office, LLC, who know the ins-and-outs of New Jersey expungement law, can set you on the path to a clean record.
In 2010, the State of New Jersey amended the law and expanded the types of drug crimes eligible for expungement. Prior to the change in the law, people with convictions of sale or distribution of CDS were ineligible. Now, if you have been convicted of a third or fourth degree crime for the sale, distribution, or possession with intent to sell marijuana, 25 grams or less, or hashish, 5 grams or less, you may be eligible for an expungement. In order for your petition to be granted, you must prove to the court that an expungement is consistent with the public interest.
Certain drug crimes are not expungeable, regardless of the circumstances or the individual’s efforts to rehabilitate, including:
- Leading a narcotics trafficking network
- Maintaining or operating a CDS manufacturing facility
- Possession of heroin over one-half an ounce or similar narcotic of one ounce or more
- Possession of LSD
- Possession of over 5 pounds of marijuana
- Distributing, dispensing or possessing within 500 ft. of certain public property, such as public parks (unless it involves less than one ounce of marijuana)
- Unlawful possession of precursors for manufacturing methamphetamine
- Employing a juvenile to distribute
If you was 21 years old or younger at the time of you drug arrest, you may be eligible for an expungement of record of young drug offenders. A young offender may file a petition one year after the conviction or completion of sentence, if he or she does not have any pending drug matters or additional convictions.
Contact Maynard Law Office, LLC
The drug crimes expungement law firm of Maynard Law Office, LLC in Morristown can access your eligibility over the phone and start developing your petition today! To call and speak with an experienced member of our staff, call 973-540-0054 or contact us online and we can call you.